I confess to sneaking peaks to see what people are reading on planes or when dining alone in restaurants, but I turn my book over or slip it under my napkin when I leave my seat. I just don’t like to be judged by the cover of my book.
Over half of the readers responding to a national Canadian survey reported that they thought “reading classics makes you look more intelligent,” and had lied about reading them to impress others.
Some of books they said they read – but didn’t…
- Lord of the Rings – J.R.R. Tolkien
- War and Peace – Tolstoy
- Wuthering Heights – Emily Bronte
- Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus – John Gray
- 1984 – George Orwell
- Great Expectations – Charles Dickens
- Jane Eyre – Charlotte Bronte
- The Diary of Anne Frank
Have you read any of them – really?