10 Reasons I liked Maurice Sendak:
- He was gruff and tough and reminded me of my short grandfather.
- He wrote honestly and never talked down to children.
- He was a natural talent, never taking a class in how to write or how to draw.
- He grew up in Brooklyn and lived in Connecticut.
- He stayed with his partner for 50 years.
- He loved dogs.
- He laughed when the librarians drew a diaper on his drawing of a naked baby.
- He scowled when they tried to ban his books.
- He reinvented himself in old age, designing scenery for operas.
- He inspired children; he inspired me.
I was hoping to see him return to the Colbert Report, but his endorsement (The sad thing is, I like it) of Colbert’s “I Am A Pole” book on his first visit will always be one of my favorite shows.
Luckily, he left behind lots of books with his signature style.
Related Post: Review of Bumble-ardy